“Preachers” as Entertainers?

13 Oct

lucre

Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mark 16:14-16)

I am not the “water cooler” type of person; I come into work at least 30 minutes early, prepare my items for work and then I….work. However, this past Thursday I couldn’t help but note that almost every employee was chatting about this new show on Oxygen called “Preachers of LA”. Because I am not a fan of anti-Christ Oprah, I’ve never considered watching her network, and I got a chill upon hearing that “Preachers” were promoting her network by taking part in a serial. Let’s rewind…

For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. (2 John 1:7, KJV)

Yet we have SIX so-called prominent preachers of the gospel who are fine aligning themselves with someone who denies the deity of Christ?

Problem number ONE!

Because I did not watch the show, I had little to go on other than the background and lifestyle (via their testimony) of the show’s participants. I was advised to watch snippets of it so that I could see for myself what it entailed, but instead I found an off-site video of the show and I watched. Disclaimer: There are very few television shows that I enjoy. I view them through a very narrow lens knowing that Satan seeks to distract, discredit and display the worst of humanity and God’s people, so I had extremely low expectations of this “reality” show. It truly did not disappoint. It seemed as if the purpose was to show how very low “Minister” Haddon would go to be accepted by the world, and the show in general catered to the lowest common denominator of Christians. From mansions, to Bentleys to buying a new house because “Passa’s wife’s clothing outgrew the old house”, this show was nothing more than a display of excess and the excuses made for it. Bishop McClendon went so far as to quote 3 John 1:2 to justify his family’s gaudy extravagance. I truly don’t want to belabor the point of this blog, so I will point out the issues that this show presents to believers and those who may possibly be seeking Christ for salvation:

• The discredited and disgraced gospel singer who believes that he’s found his “redemption” through a successful gospel concert, while at the same time flaunting his mistress and out of wedlock love child.
  • The former gang-banger Bishop who doesn’t seem to have left the world totally behind.
  • The over-the-hill single Bishop who considers himself a lothario of sorts while operating against everything that the book of Timothy states about a bishop.
  • The embarrassing Pastor who believes that it is proper to publicly display his affection for his wife through groping, kissing, etc. She’s ok with it because after all, “he’s foiiiiine”.
  • Another formerly disgraced Bishop who despite his flawed and failed personal and ministerial history believes he deserves his extravagance, and that his biblical intellect is superior to others.

Interestingly enough I did not see too much of a problem with the skateboarding pastor; he seemed humble enough and I believe that he was the first one to mention Jesus (who got very little play in this show btw). I found it horrifying when, first Pastor Gibson didn’t wait for Jesus to DRAW the gang members onstage to give their lives to Christ, but rather called them out. Then, Minister Hadden tells him to rush the prayer for the same gentlemen. This is bad behavior all around and not representative of those who are CALLED and CHOSEN. I can see that Pastor Gisbson’s heart is in the right place, but the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked (Jer. 17:9), and although he is trying to help those on the street, he is also the pastor who stated, “P. Diddy, Jay Z. They’re not the only ones who should be driving Ferraris and living in nice houses.”

This show is perpetuating the prosperity stereotype while also sending mixed messages. And that is exactly what satan wants. God is NOT the author of confusion. His word is the same today, yesterday and forever. God doesn’t need a “gospel concert” that is just as “hype” as a Lil Wayne concert to draw people. He doesn’t need his representative to arrive in a Bentley, a Porsche, or a skateboard to spread His message. He doesn’t need an “entourage”, as Haddon succinctly pointed out to Bishop McClendon, if He tells you to go and deliver His word. I wholeheartedly agree with the Pastor who stated about entertainment, “Satan uses it to enter and to detain you”, because if one were seeking after the Lord and tripped over this show, surely they would end up lost and confused. Preachers of LA perpetuated greed, the love of money (and things), adultery, pride, lust and idolatry. All things that God hates….so does that give you a clue about its creator?

2 Timothy 3:1-7

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

preachers

Re-reading the scripture at the beginning of this blog post….unless your gospel is “the love of money” then…..

My advice: Stay Away!

God bless you readers and thank you for still supporting this blog!

Posted by on October 13, 2013 in Spiritual Walk, Uncategorized, Videos

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 responses to ““Preachers” as Entertainers?

1. BornAgainJerry

October 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

After having watched ‘Preachers of LA’ at least 2.5 times since it aired, I will say that if I were not grounded and knew the word of God for myself, you could not persuade me to become a Christian! If these men are the at “top of their game” when it comes to preaching then it’s “Exit-stage left!” for me!
    Had the Apostles conducted themselves as these ‘preachers’ have, Christianity would not have survived past the first century-
    I have never seen people who are suppose to be ambassadors for Christ so full of themselves, these men have lowered the bar for God’s standard, and God is not pleased!

Just as Eli’s sons Phinehas & Hophni priests for God were both scandalous “how they lay with the women who assembled at the door of the tabernacle…and made the LORDs people to transgress” (1 Samuel 2:22-24) some of them are guilty of the same conduct, apparently they’ve forgotten they are to serve God not the opposite! It is painfully obvious that if they were unable to enrich themselves they would find themselves another occupation.

Notice at the end of the program how defensive they became (McClendon in particular) when they were asked if they would they preach for free, the wolves shed their sheep skins-!
    this show has little or no value in evangelism, hopefully besides earning them a paycheck it will wake some people up to this den of robbers & thieves!

-and for the “Touch not Gods anointed” crowd- YEAH, I SAID IT!

October 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hello Brother Jerry!

You are indeed a good one to have gotten through this painful show more than once lol. I did well getting through it one time, and had there been commercials I probably wouldn’t have made it. You said “if they could not enrich themselves they would find another occupation”, and to that I say BINGO. Being a pastor or preacher is not a calling to these gentlemen, it is a job and it’s a job that they EXPECT a large wage for performing. I found it both demeaning to God’s name and sad at the same time.

The only one that I felt remotely sorry for was Minister Haddon because he is obviously so talented and oh so lost. God has put on my heart a spirit of compassion for him so I will keep praying for the scales to fall from his eyes, and that he repent and turn back to his first love.

This show is a stumblingblock to true Christianity and these for-profit preachers will reap their just reward in due time. Thank you again for your insightful comments!

Pw

• BornAgainJerry

October 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hey Sis! You definitely got your ‘discernment hat’ on tight with this post (no surprise to me though) “Preachers of LA” has stirred up the hornets nest, “er-body’s talkin’ bout it!”
        its generated more heat than light out there in cyberspace; I believe this program is going to be a game-changer whether it gets cancelled or not, and you best believe the other
        “Preachers of……..” are watching & waiting cause…..”Dey scared!”

Thanks for shedding light on this hot issue…Bless you 🙂

October 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Thank you Bro. Jerry! Honestly, I didn’t even want to “go there” because as I stated, I’m not the “water cooler” type but I definitely wanted to shed a little light on another Christian distraction disguising itself as “entertainment”. 1 John 5:21 states, “Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen”. Let no show, person or thing become an idol!

God bless you too!

2. Pastor D

October 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

When I read this I could not help but think of the rich young ruler in Matt 19:21. The Gospel tells us that “when the man heard this he became very sad. ” And it is in sadness that I find this show.

the question of why Christ asked this particular man, and not another, to sell all his possessions. He seemed to be a person of virtue, responsibility and personal faith. But he was also a person who was good, who did good, and who sought to be better under only one condition–and that was that it not cost him anything. He was willing to obey the commandments, to participate in worship, to be responsible for, and careful of others, but would do so only if they did not reduce his own wealth, comfort, social privilege or anything else that he held close to his pride. Sound sound the LA Boys?

And so, in the end, the young man turned away in great sadness. He refused the challenge laid down by Christ because he had many possessions. The jacked up thing about this young man mad the “motivational speakers of LA” is they love things more than they love the people of God and they love themselves more than others. And any man who puts things before people and self before others, must turn his back on Jesus Christ.

Love the blog. Keep up the great work

October 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Hello Pastor D!

I was happy to read your response to this post because this particular story, NOT parable, but story has been weighing heavy on me lately. We look upon the “rich ruler” from a surface level, but that short story is VERY significant, and VERY applicable to this show. You see, the young man practically chased Jesus down to find out what he needed to do to obtain eternal life. He had it all, wealth, possessions, a high position in the synagogue and much knowledge. Jesus listed for him some of the law, and he stated that all of those things “I have kept from my youth”. The scripture then states that Jesus loved him. You see, even when we are lacking, Jesus loves us. Just as he loves the “Preachers of LA”. However, when Jesus told the young man that he had to give up all that he had and sell it to the poor and follow him, the young man left “sorrowful”. Now let’s back-track…when Jesus listed “the law” for the young man he never listed “Thou shalt have no other gods before me”, did he? NO, he did not. The young man’s “possessions” were his idols, his “gods” and in his refusal to give them up, he walked away sorrowful from his chance at eternal life.

It just makes me wonder that if Jesus were to encounter any of the “LA preachers” if they would sell all and donate to the poor or if they would “go away sorrowful”.

Thank you for the insightful post!
      God bless you!

3. Steve Finnell

November 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM

PREACHERS, PRIESTS, AND PASTORS?

Why do not all preachers, priests and pastors teach the same terms for pardon from sin? Why do they not all teach the same doctrine of God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the apostles?

Why do not all preachers, priests,and pastors teach the same thing? They do not teach the same thing because seminaries and Bible colleges to not teach from the Bible and the Bible alone.

Most religious intuitions teach using creed books, their own church catechism, Bible commentaries, books written about the Bible, writings of the early church fathers, and other extra-Biblical sources. They teach how read Greek, when they should be teaching how to read the Bible and how to understand it.

If all denominations honestly used the Bible and the Bible alone to teach faith and the practice of faith, there would not thousands of denominations and cults claiming to Christians.

JESUS DIED FOR ONE CHURCH-HIS CHURCH!

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com