Condemnation!

12 Apr

I have a younger brother who I adore. I remember the day that he was sentenced for some crimes that he never thought that he would get caught committing; he was young, carefree and thought that he ruled the world, but the world was ruling him. On his sentencing day when I heard the judge bang the gavel, and I watched the bailiff lead him out of the side door my heart broke. He looked back and winked at me as if to say, “it will be OK” but I wasn’t convinced. I visited him before he was transported to the prison and my heart broke again as the guard led him in wearing both hand and ankle cuffs with chains. Several years later I took my family to the prison on the day of his release and when he walked out of those iron bars I felt his freedom for him. He was free! We were all ecstatic for him, we walked out of those gates and never looked back. Except my brother, he was free…yet he wasn’t free…

I was discussing my life with my eldest son a few days back, and he seemed shocked at some of the things that I had done in my lifetime; I wasn’t an angel by any stretch of the imagination though I know that will shock some of you (smile); so when I make the statement that Christ set me free, I really mean it. I did not look back, I did my best to try not to go back, and even on the most trying days when I was at my weakest I sometimes yelled out for the Lord to help me hold on, because the chains that I had been held in were so tight. Many of you are probably in the same predicament. You have done something, gone somewhere or behaved in some unseemly manner and now you are living in regret, not knowing how to free yourself from the guilt or shame of it and you probably feel as if you will never be able to get back to God.  Take a look at this image:

Does this photo describe your life right now? Have you gotten to the point where you feel like an old abandoned building, vacated of all life and locked off from God, and anyone who dares to “trespass” in your life has a severe penalty to pay? While you may not look worn down and raggedy on the outside, if we were to look on this inside is this what we would see? These are rhetorical questions of course, but dealing with self-condemnation can be like a debilitating disease, one that can take you so far from God that it can cause you to think that you are too unworthy to reach out to Him for help.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. – Romans 8:1

Such a familiar scripture, so easy to forget. Jesus came to set us free from everything, not just the “big sins”, if there is such a thing, but also those small, dark secrets that we hold in our hearts. The things that eat us up and make us feel worthless to the Kingdom are the very things that Satan plants in our spirit to hold us back and keep us from sharing the good news of the Gospel. I have met so many people over the last couple of months, people that I know God set in my path for a purpose, people who are struggling and suffering with condemnation issues; people who are afraid to cry out to God because they feel unworthy. The enemy has planted a spirit of condemnation on God’s people because he sees how little time he has left to wreak havoc. Every day more individual’s eyes are being opened to the truth of the Gospel, so Satan has cleverly launched this new tactic… ‘make them feel justifiably unworthy’. He will also use other people in his mission, your extended family, your friends, your children and yes, even your spouse. How?

• “This never would have happened if you ___________”.
  • “If he/she really loved you they would _____________”.
  • “I will never stop ____________ so I may as well give up trying to be saved”.
  • “Huh, and you call yourself a Christian”, or “You’re supposed to be saved”.
  • “It’s too late for me. I don’t even think God listens to me anymore”.
  • “It’s just not worth it. I keep slipping”.
  • “If I don’t change God will never accept me.”

I am definitely not trying to lecture because this is a place that I’ve been myself, so if you see yourself in any of this please know that it is in God’s will for you right now. He wants to set us free before it’s too late. The world is watching us, waiting for us to slip so that they can point the finger of condemnation at us and place us right back into those chains. I asked myself a question, “why did you give your life to Christ in the first place?” My answer was because I was miserable, I thought that I was treading water and my arms were too tired to keep me afloat; it was at that point that I called upon the Lord and He answered me. Why now would the same life preserver be cast aside because I cannot forgive myself for past mistakes? Why hold onto things that have no eternal value? Why not look in the mirror and say, “I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me”? John 10:10 says that “the thief cometh not but for to steal, kill and destroy…”, and it is easy to forget that after the semicolon Jesus also adds, “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly”. It is time to take back the power that Jesus gave us, and that satan subtly stole away from us. Just as he deceived Eve in the garden, he has also deceived us; have you become flippant in regards to your service to Christ? Have the things of God which used to take precedence in your life become afterthoughts? Have you thought, “I’ll get to it” or “It doesn’t matter”? Those are the subtle ways that the enemy has slithered in and derailed you.

Let me encourage you. Jesus is still here for us. Still available. Still forgiving. Full of mercy and grace.His last words on the cross are still the standard that we should carry from day to day. If you have something in your life that keeps you in constant self-condemnation, let it go. Forgive yourself and allow Jesus to heal those self-inflicted wounds that you carry, and break the chains of condemnation that have many of us spiritually shackled. Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage (Gal. 5:1).

iampastorswife

Posted by on April 12, 2012 in Spiritual Walk, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Condemnation!

1. Pastor dk

April 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Welcome Back! Such A timely blog. As the people of God fight this battle.

April 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Hellooo Pastor! Thank you so much Sir, it is good to be writing again with God’s blessing. I pray that your ministry is well, and that souls are being ministered to. Thank you again for visiting and continuing to support this blog, even after the long extended break! Thank God for email notifications lol.

2. Thee Potter's Hand

April 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Keep fighting Sister as you forever rest at His feet. Praying for you and the family.

April 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hello my dear Sister! Oh yes, I’m fighting alright but God already let me know that this battle is not mine. 😉

Truly this blog is from Him and from the heart. The people that God has placed in my path recently are the inspiration for this posting. I miss you and our discourse. May God continually bless and keep you in His perfect will!

3. Jassmine

April 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Good to have you back sister, and I agree with the others that this is an on time word! The enemy be trying to condemn me with stuff that I did in my past, but I constantly remind myself that I am in Christ now and he paid for my sins and freed me from the bondage of it; So I don’t have to walk around guilty and shameful anymore! I just press forward in the now living by faith in him to live a life holy and acceptable unto him! #iamnotcondemnedbutforgiven #thankGodforhisgrace Praying for you and remember to pray for me as well! Love ya!

April 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My dear sister Jassmine, I pray that both you and your family are well; yes, you have been in my thoughts sine our conversation a few months back. You’re correct, we don’t have to carry guilt and shame when we are in Christ, but the enemy is crafty,he will use others to keep heaping it on us. All we can do is to put our trust and faith in Him and continue to believe that all things work together for good. Love ya sis, so good to see your post. Thank you for the encouragement and God bless you!

4. rotesia

April 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I’ve been on the lamb of late, so to speak. Too much going on these days. I miss my talking to my sister! Great article by the way, as always!

May 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

My Friend and Sister! Please don’t think that I have been intentionally ignoring you because that truly isn’t the case. Through a lot of tough times, family illness, personal illness and other things my life has been nothing short of hectic, so I apologize and definitely empathize with where you’ve been!

I actually thought about you the other day when I passed a new cancer center that was built in my area. You are never far from my thoughts and always in my heart. I pray that all is well with you and the kids; please tell Rick that I said hello and please keep in touch. Btw…love my phone LOL, but more on that later. Love ya Ro!

Pw.

5. Author of Christian Comfort & Conversation

May 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM

iampastorwife- we are freed to do His will by the shedding of His blood. May we be reminded that we are our own worse enemy. No one can hold us back from doing God’s work, but us. The adversary is very busy but he seems to have a whole lot of help from us. We give in to easily, but God wants warriors who will stand on His foundation of truth and righteousness. It is okay to fall down, as long as we quickly get back up and not dwell on the past for it is gone and we can only now live in the present moment of now. Sharing God’s word, loving others with the heart of God and departing from our sinful ways.
    I am so delighted to have cross paths with you. Nothing is by chance but by God’s directing hand. I love you with the heart of God, stand up and put God first. All the busyness can become sin. If God don’t wake you in the morning, all the obstacles of life have no value. Pray, praise & love on God until you become smothered in His love like gravy. I personally am addicted to God, He is my habit that I don’t want cured. I want to get everyone hooked on Him, who crosses my path. Glory to God.

Lets us give Him some praisies. Leap for joy and just thank Him, for He is worthy. Sometimes, we end up in dark places because the eyes are wide-opened in the dark…seeking. God can now reveal the light that we could not see in the world doing what we wanted to do. We are servants of a King, who gives us free will to choose Him without force.

A Woman After God’s Own Heart ♥