Is your title your idol?

28 Jan

A Blog by Sis. Pastor’s Wife

Senior Blogger and Founder

If you came to this blog and read the above, what would you do? Laugh and leave? Could you really take anything that I wrote after that seriously? Or would you think to yourself, “just who does she think she is?” I think that the immediate response would be to go to the “About Me” page to find out exactly who this Senior blah blah blah person is; likewise when we visit ministries we want to know who the “head” is since their title is trumpeted on the sign out front, on their church office door, and sometimes on their parking space. Why is having an official title so important to people?

I believe that the short answer is that we would like to be esteemed above all others, and the title is one of way doing that. We want to be recognized as leaders, when Christ instructed us to be humble, and that He would exalt us. Being a part of the Body of Christ for so long I have seen titles increase and expand in ways that I’ve never thought imaginable. It seems that no one is simply a “preacher” or a “minister”, or even “teacher” anymore; everyone is either a Bishop, a Prophet, a Doctor, Apostle, Messenger, etc. Please don’t scourge me, I believe that some title are apropos when given by God, but often times the head of the actual body of Christ is lost in the elevation of the title of the pastor of the local church.

As an example, my pastor from the spiritually abusive church that we used to attend started out using the moniker “Reverend” So&So, a couple of years later he changed to “Elder” So&So, and shortly after that he was ordained as “Bishop”. There was much pomp and circumstance to him receiving this esteemed title and I guess, position, but honestly, I saw no change in the man himself or his spiritual person. I was a lot younger in Christ then, so of course I was happy for him, but now I know that the titles in that ministry were nothing more than a source of pride – idols. God explicitly warns us about idols, and many cities and people were destroyed because of them, yet we have leaders of churches coveting titles as if they are a Golden Ticket to Heaven. Think again!

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. – Jesus (Jn. 14:6).

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: ( Ephesians 4:11-15).

See that? Christ gave them titles to build up the body of Christ, not themselves! When we begin to hide ourselves behind our titles we will find ourselves hidden from Christ because the title is not what we should be seeking, but everlasting life in Him. I told a lady the other day that outside of Christ I am nobody, I am nothing but a piece of clay that waits to be molded each day into what God wants me to be for Him. There are many, many people out there claiming to represent Christ, when in fact He is the last thing on their mind. Here’s a test, the next time you meet up with a high-ranking (in their mind) official of the church, address them by their first name, or even by Mr. and see what he does. My husband, on his job, met with one of these people one day, and of course my husband didn’t use “Elder”, just Mr. and his last name (it was corporate business), and this gentleman quickly corrected him to use his title. When he told me I just smiled; For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also Matt. 6:21). Let us neither be impressed with nor covetous of titles because they are only of value on Earth, and they take the focus off of the mission, which is bringing souls to Christ. Someone asked me once, what is your husband’s title in the church, I answered them with “follower of Christ”, and they told me that I was trying to be deep lol. Yet isn’t that what professing Christians are supposed to be? I guess it would have been more acceptable to say, “He is the Honorable Apostle Pastor BLK, Jr., PhD”, errr no! He is just a man with a heart for God, and that is all that matters.

Jesus Christ – The Highest Title

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence (Col. 1:17-18).

And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: (Col. 2:10).

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God (Col. 2:18-19).

Even Paul when going from city to city to preach Christ’s message did not trumpet himself as “Apostle Paul”, he went in with “…I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles…(Eph. 3:1)” “Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ…(Rom. 1:1)”, and if anyone should have had bragging rights, it was him lol, but he called himself a humble servant of the Lord Jesus Christ and our God the Father. We ought to strive to be more like Paul, and humble ourselves before the Lord, shed the titles which won’t mean much in the end, and begin serving Christ out of a pure heart.

iampastorswife

Posted by on January 28, 2012 in Spiritual Walk, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Is your title your idol?

1. dcalled1

January 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Great post!!! I tell you we, as the “body of Christ”, sure like to make ourselves feel good with those titles. Even when I wasn’t a professing Christian, I would crack up when I would hear people introduced as the “Right Reverend Doctor”. I would be like, which is he??? The funniest title I have heard of lately is “Prelate”. When did this one become so popular?

January 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hello Dcalled1!

Oh how could I forget the Prelate. I have heard a Sunday morning broadcast by a gentleman whose introduction refers to him as, “The Presiding Prelate, the Bishop So & So” lol! Did you know that the root of the word Prelate is a Latin word and a mainstay of the Catholic church? Or let me break it down for you a little further: A prelate is a high-ranking member of the clergy who is an ordinary or who ranks in precedence with ordinaries. The word derives from the Latin prælatus, the past participle of præferre, which means “carry before”, “be set above or over” or “prefer”; hence, a prelate is one set over others.
      – (Source: Wikipedia).

Is this against everything scriptural or not? There is only one name that is set above all other names in both Heaven and Earth and that is the name of Jesus Christ. So not only is this gentleman wrong in calling himself that, he is out of order. I have to wonder, since he esteems himself so highly, what his ministry is really like seeing as though it has no Godly head. Just something to think about…

Thank you for your comment, and nice seeing you again. God bless you!

iampastorswife

2. Paul

January 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Greetings my Sister from Wales. Uk. Thank you for this post and the boldness to take on this subject. I love what you say here “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also (Matt. 6:21)” Our treasure is in who were are and no title can add, enhance or add value to who we already are.

“Reverend” and “Father” are titles that belong to him, the name is enough for me! and as you said “Jesus Christ is the highest title”…because he has the name above all names.

Blessings be yours
    Paul.

January 29, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Greetings Paul!

I am happy to have you as both a reader and brother in Christ, and I absolutely agree that only Christ is to be “revered” and God is our Father. It is good to know that others are bearing witness to the Word that God has sent. Thank you for your comments, they have blessed me!

Your friend and Sister in Christ Jesus,

3. Catrice

January 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

AMEN!

4. thankful4grace

January 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Once again, a great post, Sis. Pastor’s Wife! At my former church, we were not allowed to address our pastor or his wife without their titles – and yes I said NOT ALLOWED! Of course at the time I thought this was normal, so I never questioned it. It wasn’t until my husband and I left that church and I began to study the biblical description of a pastor that I realized just how unbiblical this practice is. Ephesians 4 provides a list of callings or duties, not titles, and as you pointed out, those callings are for the benefit of the body, not the called. I also love that you pointed out that even Paul did not address himself, or insist that others address him, as Apostle or any other title. An apostle was what he was, not his title, and certainly not a license to elevate himself above the brethren. I am so thankful that we have since found a biblical church lead by a pastor who sees (and conducts) himself as a brother in Christ who has been called to pastor and disciple others – and (*gasp*) is even addressed by his first name to boot! In Matthew 10:42-45, Jesus expressly instructs his disciples not to use their given authority to lord over other believers the way the Gentiles do, for even He came to the earth to serve and not be served, and yet so many pastors today are convinced that their calling and authority entitles them to be served. It annoys me to no end, but I thank you, sister, for raising the standard of accountability in the Body of Christ!

January 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Hi T4G,

I know exactly what you mean because the standard was the same in our ministry. Isn’t it funny when you walk into the light of Jesus that you become freer than you were in the bondage of certain ministries? Even Jesus didn’t walk around calling himself “Jesus, the Son of God”; He had no title, no prestige, no honor, yet these Bishoptress’ and Prelates like to lord their titles over the sheep. It is just mind-boggling the deception that the church is under right now. Thank God for freedom from religious oppression!

(P.S. I apologize if I called you “brother” in previous postings of yours. It’s hard to identify on here who is who, but now that I know I will adjust.)

God bless you, and thank you for sharing again!

5. Jassmine

January 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM

This is good Sister! What really gets me is like you said, when people ask for your name they are expecting a title and when you say your name by itself they look at you as if you are trying to be funny. I’m like saying to myself my name is Jassmine, I don’t believe my mama put on my birth certificate Evangelist, Minister, Deaconess, Missionary, etc.. Jassmine. Church Folk, are a trip! #smh. This post needs to be read by a woman I know who is soooo hung up on titles, that she writes on her tithe envelope Bishoptress……..if you are gonna give yourself a title atleat let it be a actual real title that has scripture to support it, I mean come on. #smh!

• thankful4grace

January 30, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Not “Bishoptress”!! Lol!!

• Jassmine

January 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

@thankful4grace….Yes Bishoptress! LOL! #smh

January 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Sis. Jass,

Ok I have to admit that “Bishoptress” took me for a ride that I was not prepared to go on lol. I’ve been around for a while and have never heard that one; someone needs to call that sister on it, because she is way out of order. It’s funny, you know, but it’s also a sad statement of the “progressive” church. So caught up in titles and positions that they completely miss God. I’ll be praying for Sis. Bishoptress lol. Thanks for this one!

• Jassmine

January 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

@IAPW…..She really missed God with Bishoptress! It’s not only an issue for her in the spiritual but natural as well, as she always tells me how she is a lawyer, police, this and that…..I’m like sister please go somewhere and sit down and just be YOU, who God made you to be created in his image and not all these other images! ***Prayer Request for Sister, Evangelist, Bishoptress, Reverend, Police Woman, Lawyer, that she will study to know her TRUE identity in Christ! And let the Church say AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN again!