Happy New Year To You!
A little over a year ago my hair stylist, at the time, asked me what I knew of the Jezebel spirit. She felt that she was dealing with it in the ministry that she had currently been attending. I found it to be a very odd inquiry at the time because I had just met her, and it was also a question that had never been asked of me before but I promised to bring her a printout of some research I had done into that foul spirit. The obvious question right now would be, “Hey, IAPW why would you have done research on that?” Well, to answer that is simple…because I wanted to lol. Years before then I heard about the spirit, but knew very little about it. You see, we always tend to hear about Jezebel and think that she was just some “loose woman” who seduced kings in the bible, and the word is thrown around in the world to describe “fast” girls. Ohhh but that Jezebel…
A brief history: Before defining this dangerous and influential spirit we need to first understand who Jezebel was in the bible. Jezebel was of pagan birth (Zidonian), her father was Ethbaal, and she married a king who believed on Yawheh, the true and living God. Even though King Ahab was a man of God he was considered evil by the Israelites who had seen kings before Ahab stray further and further from God. Ahab allowed Jezebel to set up worship to Baal, and to promote it as the exclusive religion of Israel and she eventually turned him against God. (1 Kings 16:28-33). Jezebel, as queen, also had rule over 850 pagan priests, and set out to slay the prophets of God. God used His prophet Elijah to challenge the prophets of Baal and, when victorious, God allowed him to slay all of the false prophets. Word of this was carried back to Jezebel by King Ahab, and so infuriated was she that she sent a message to Elijah threatening him, this sent Elijah into hiding. God brought Elijah out to send warning to both Ahab and Jezebel, and eventually Ahab repented of his sins, but Jezebel did not; she refused to submit to the power and authority of God and vowed to relentlessly pursue Elijah. Her refusal to repent of her wicked ways led to her bloody and public demise (2 Kings 9: 29-37). Let’s stop here for a moment.
Jezebel wasn’t just an overbearing wife or someone who used her “feminine wiles” to get her way; she was a powerfully seductive force that was in opposition to the Most High God. As long as Jezebel “got her way” and was able to exert her power, she was happy. This was apparent when Ahab wanted Naboth’s vineyard; Jezebel taunted him for being weak and then went about killing Naboth and his sons so that she could acquire the land for Ahab. You see how powerful this spirit can be?
Many of us don’t recognize this demonic seducing spirit even when it sits among us in church. The reason why is because although the spirit is very powerful, it has the ability to appear humble and to slip below the radar. One common misconception about the Jezebel spirit is that is a feminine spirit; in fact, this spirit can be classified as asexual. It is a spirit that is sent out from Satan to deceive, defile and silence God’s prophetic voice. The spirit of Jezebel infects the mind and ushers in the spirit of control, manipulation, lust, power and perversion. Bear in mind that the modus operandi of this spirit is to destroy the individual that it inhabits, the ministry that it is a part of, or the church itself as a whole.
A Few Characteristics of the Jezebel Spirit:
- The spirit craves control: They are submissive only to get control. They hate people they can not control and will work at getting rid of them if they can’t intimidate them. Will threaten, manipulate, discourage, and entice to get control.
- The spirit hates authority: Hates all authority over it. Will undermine, usurp and rebel against authority figures. Loves to be honored but honors no one.
- The spirit despises the Holy Spirit: When this spirit is in the church, the righteousness, peace and joy that should be there becomes confusion, disharmony and a striving spirit.
- This spirit refuses to be wrong: A Jezebel spirit is never wrong, unless it is a temporary admittance of guilt to gain “favor” with someone. To accept responsibility would violate the core of insecurity and pride from which it operates. When a Jezebel apologizes it is never in true repentance or acknowledgment of wrongdoing but rather “I’m sorry your feelings were hurt.”
- This spirit is a masterful liar: A Jezebel lies convincingly. No one can lie better than he can. He can turn on the charm and make you believe blue is red. He always fools those whom he’s just met while those who have been victimized by his tactics stand by helplessly. The fact that Jezebel can look you in the eye and lie just shows how strong and adamant this rebellious and recalcitrant spirit is.
- The Jezebel spirit always one-ups: A person with a Jezebel spirit will always upstage another person. He feels threatened by anyone who dares to steal the limelight or anyone who is a threat to his power and control. If you are with such a person and tell of your accomplishment or victory, you can be assured he will quickly tell of something he has accomplished.
- The spirit abuses personal information: A Jezebel uses information as a leverage for power and then shares tidbits with you, often things told him in confidence.
- The spirit will use a false “gift” for power: Many who operate with a spirit of control also have a clairvoyant spirit. A Jezebel has supernatural help in knowing and sensing information. If he uses this against you, he may say “I can’t tell you how I know this. I just know it.” This is not the Holy Spirit.
- This spirit despises men: Jezebel hates men and majors in destroying them. She cannot have a true Godly relationship with men; because her desire is to strip them of all their perceived power and then destroy them, to emasculate them emotionally and spiritually.
- The Jezebel spirit is intelligent: This demonic spirit is very intelligent and finds it very challenging to control and manipulate intellectually able people. She is able to manipulate them so well that actually they worship her.
(Thanks to prophesieofrevelation.org for some of these)
There are many more characteristics that define the Jezebel spirit, but this should give you a comprehensive overview of it. Really, it is all about control; Satan has always desired equity with God, and because he will never be equal to God he uses this pervasive spirit to try and subdue God’s church and his prophets.Please don’t take this message as a finger point to all “bad” preachers or even those ministers who are “in the news”, I am not in the finger-pointing business; it is more a guide in how to protect ourselves and our ministries from this demonic spirit. The Jezebel spirit is a murderous spirit, we saw how she killed to get her way and that is the enemy’s tactic, to steal, to kill and to destroy anything that comes against it. We have to understand that in the book of Kings Jezebel tried everything to get to Elijah, but he was under God’s authority and protection and gave her chance after chance to repent, but the spirit of rebellion was so strong that she felt that she could reject God and prevail. Wrong move! If we see this spirit in ourselves, in others (remember judging goes both ways) or in our ministries, our job is to pray without ceasing. Satan goes to and fro in the Earth seeking whom he may devour. Pray without ceasing – Satan goes to and fro, both are continuous actions, but God protected His prophet and he will also protect us when we ask Him. Don’t suffer the Jezebel spirit, reject it and repent!
Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works (Rev. 2:20-23).
Father, because we submit to you, we have your authority to resist the devil. We bind, in the name of Jesus, the principality of Jezebel. We pull down the stronghold of its thinking over our being, our churches and over our state. We come against the fortresses this demon has built up in the spirit realm in this area and we release the Holy Spirit to destroy the house of Jezebel and distribute her goods. We also speak faithfulness of eyes and heart to husbands and wives. We release purity of heart and grace to each member of the body of Christ, both single and married. We cover your people with the blood of Jesus. We loose the joy of a humble and submissive spirit and pull down the imaginations of ambition and pride. In Jesus’ name. Amen.