‘Tis the season – fa la la la la! (A discussion)

09 Nov

It’s the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle belling
And everyone telling you “Be of good cheer”
It’s the most wonderful time of the year
It’s the hap-happiest season of all
With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings
When friends come to call
It’s the hap- happiest season of all- Andy Williams

Is it? You tell me. So, soon after the “holiday” that I call the evilest that ever eviled, we are commercially inundated with seasonal cheer. At the local Kroger the Salvation Army santas are ringing their bells, there are stockings, tinsel and garland hung all around the store and associates have holiday smiles plastered on their faces. Let me ask you a question though, what does this season mean to you? When I was growing up my Father did not play that “santa coming down the chimney” stuff lol. He let it be known that it was his hard work that bought our gifts, games and toys! We would have a huge dinner, and the whole extended family would gather at our home to celebrate the season. The memories still make me smile, but I am all grown up now. I want to say that I absolutely love Thanksgiving; it is one day that I enjoy without abandon. Having our family together and cooking lots of food while giving thanks to God for being alive, together and healthy is to be celebrated, in my opinion. Beyond that day I have little use for the holidays, and this too is my opinion and I don’t expect any or everyone to share it. For one thing the word “holiday” itself is ripped from the biblical Holy Days, and this fictional Santa (anagram of Satan, need I say more?) who brings “gifts” to all the “good little girls and boys”….just….no. As for Christmas itself, I do not subscribe to the belief that Jesus was born on Christmas Day, but even for those who do it is no longer Christmas, it’s Xmas; you know because the world cannot have too much Christ in it, right? 🙂

Back to the season, let’s talk about it. Starting at midnight after Thanksgiving we arrive at “Black Friday”; the retailers call it black Friday because it is supposed to be the day that they go from being in the “red” or debt all year to being in the black. Woo hoo for them, but for you? Pressure to conform to friends or family forces you out of the house at 3am to stand in cold lines just to tell them that you snagged that dvd player for $19! Is that not foolishness? Not only that, but have you seen the Walmart and Kmart commercials touting that “Layaway is back!” That’s right, all of you poor saints who cannot put your children’s $1300 in Christmas gifts on your credit card get to make weekly payments until the third week in December so that your beloved can have that coveted item that the Lord wants them to have. The Lord! For a season that is rumored to be all about Him, I don’t see much about Jesus during the season at all. I see greed, excess, anxiety, depression and worry. Those traits don’t encompass the doctrine of Jesus Christ. John told us, Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth (3 Jn.1:2).

Aside from the frenzy of shopping, the season also brings out the inner thief in many people. There are those who believe that if they cannot obtain things by legitimate means then they will take it by any means necessary. Have you ever noticed that bank robberies increase during the “season”? Ever notice that retail theft is higher in the months of November-December than any other time during the year, as is identity theft? It seems like the “Most wonderful time of the years” brings out the Most horrible traits in the individuals. But we are supposed to be jolly, right?!? Yes. Let me give you my personal spiritual survival guide for the “season”:

• Make Christ the focus all year round, not just during the 6 weeks leading up to December 25 and the week after.

Oh, are you looking for more? Sorry to disappoint you lol, but that’s it and that’s all. Jesus Christ is more than a silly day. He’s not in or around a box from “Jareds”, and He has little to nothing to do with that brightly wrapped gift. He’s also not really in that cute nativity scene in your neighbor’s yard; I also hate to tell you this but He probably won’t show up at your “Watch Night Celebration” (whatever that means) on December 31st. Despite what people say, Jesus is NOT the reason for the season. Jesus is the reason for everything; He is that I am. The Alpha and Omega. The Beginning and the End. The Way, the Truth and the Life. Stop stressing yourself out over “the season”, and kick man’s tradition out of your home. Jeremiah 10:2-4.

To close, please understand that I am not judging anyone’s celebrations of this season, but we have to be careful of idolatry as God warned us. This time of year was orchestrated by Satan, not God. You only have to look at the facts and not the pageantry of it all to realize the truth. I would love it if you would take time to view this 11 minute video and leave your opinion of it. Or just discuss the text in general. Dissenting opinions are always welcome. 🙂

God bless you,

A Pastor’s Wife

Posted by on November 9, 2011 in Spiritual Walk, Uncategorized, Videos

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 responses to “‘Tis the season – fa la la la la! (A discussion)

1. steelerkid

November 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Great one! It’s so true though… “most wonderful time of the year” yeah, minus the robberies, stress, sins, and labor. Great post, Sister Pastor’s Wife and also, I must say I still get excited for Christmas and Thanksgiving (it’s tradition).

Be blessed

November 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Thank you SK for your response. It’s fine to be excited, as I stated, I love Thanksgiving Day…it’s a wonderful time! As for Christmas, knowing what I know I cannot wantonly toss that knowledge aside to “worship” a day, if that makes sense. I would rather celebrate Jesus year ’round. 😉 Be blessed!

2. TiffyC

November 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Amen and amen!!

You are not the only person to feel that Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. My husband and I do not celebrate it. Even growing up, my mom put more emphasis on Thanksgiving more than Christmas. If you just Google the word Christmas, Wikipedia will inform you how this “holiday” falls on what is called the Winter Soltice, or Saturnalia. Saturnalia is a pagan ritual. It was the Catholic church who would in an attempt to appeal to non-believers incorporate the very pagan practices into their religion. The same is with Easter too. Plus the bible speaks against to these same practices too.

Thanks again for the post and know that you’re not the only one. God bless.

Hosea 4:6

3. TiffyC

November 9, 2011 at 10:25 PM

One other thing, not sure if you’ve seen it or not, but there is a series on YouTube called “Know your Enemy” that speaks to that unholy trinity. The author of the series is called The Fuel Project. It was blessed me tremendously.

November 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Sis Tiffy,

I appreciate your input and yes, I know all about the traditions behind ChristMass celebration. The video that I posted at the end spells it all out in great detail. I say to each his/her own, but we do need to understand just what we are paying homage to! I have the “Know your enemy” series in my YT favorites, so thank you for the reminder. I have watched some, not all. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, and for your referral link!

Iampastorswife

4. evette

November 11, 2011 at 7:41 AM

People at work call me the Grinch, with good reason. While they are busy talking about what they’ll buy, and the all around good cheer putting folks in a giving mood, I sit back and just shake my head at it all. I’m over the Black Friday, the greed, the selfishness, etc. I’m just tired! It’s these times when I realize just how lost people are. Sister, I’ve been studying the book of Eziekel, and I must say the parallels to then and now is eye opening, uncanny, and mind boggling. Can’t wait to start my series of posts. Great post, but again they all are. Continue to speak the truth!

November 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM

My Sister, how ironic that you would be labeled the “grinch”, personified by a green evil looking devil, for choosing to follow Christ instead of man! I would rejoice in that because when all men (or women) speak well of you, then you have something to worry about. Stay encouraged and keep reading that book, Ezekiel is AMAZING! Cannot wait to read. Have a blessed weekend!

5. Glenn Smith

November 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Sista, I came across this information a few years ago and was astounded. Christians just seem to always look to replicate the world. Why oh why is it so hard to remain separate as the bible commands us! I actually boycotted Christmas a couple years ago, but then after listening to a podcast by G. Craige I decided to just give gifts, not decorate, and certainly not put up a tree in my house. Satan deceives in so many ways its unbelievable! Even our birthdays, what do most people do? They put on a wizards hat, place lighted candles in the cake and make a wish! Do you think Jesus has anything to do with that? This quest for knowledge can be mind boggling. Continue to speak the truth my sista!!!

November 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Bro Glenn,
      I have to be completely honest here…do you know that I really never gave a thought to birthday celebration rituals? That is so eye-opening and you are so right! Satan is such a deceiver and I continually tell my kids that he goes to and fro in the Earth seeking whom he may devour. That means that he never stops! Just like you I had to be delivered from Christmas tradition; that is what it’s all about – tradition, and just like anything else, paying unreasonable tithes, staying in an abusive church, following a man even when you know he’s wrong, we do stuff because it’s tradition even when scripture clearly points out the error in it. I LOVE looking at the pretty lights during the season, but we cannot be blinded by them. As always Glenn you drop in with truth and clarity and I definitely appreciate it my Brother. Stay blessed and honest!