Sacred + Profane = Abomination

01 Oct

Simple Math, Right?

Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them (Ezekiel 22:26).

Oh yes, we have all heard variations of this scripture at some time in our lives and probably thought, “well that’s not me because I am walking with the holiest of holies”, whatever that means. But are we? Do we stay away from the unclean and profane, or do we sit in the midst of it and pretend that it does not exist? I had the pleasure of attending a wonderful family movie today called “Courageous”; I urge all followers of Christ to see this film. If you will go and spend your money on music or a movie that does not glorify God and our Savior, I am saying that it should give you great pleasure to spend the same on a movie that does. This post is not about the movie though, but about a preview that I took note of while waiting for the movie to begin, and then other things stirred in my spirit. The movie is called Joyful Noise [Todd Graff, Director, 2011] and it is set to be released in January 2012. When the previews started I was really intrigiued for about two seconds; perhaps I was blinded by the beautiful purple choir robes, but as soon as I saw Queen Latifah in one I was smacked back into reality. I thought that this would be an inspirational movie based upon Psalms 100:1-2, Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Uhhh, NO! I was going to post the trailer here, but the Lord advised me not to, so if you’d like to see it for yourself, then Google is your friend. There, that’s a good screen shot; Queen Latifah, Dolly Parton and Keke Palmer (of Akilah and the Bee fame) are the stars of this film. I guess what bothers me the most about the previews for this film is that it attempts (and will most likely accomplish) to woo the same audience that was in the movie to see a film that TRULY represented Jesus and His saving grace. This preview glorified vanity, sexuality, rivalry and ego. I got that much from a two minute preview, so I can imagine what the whole 90 minutes will be like. Why are we, as Christians, so eager for entertainment that we will allow anything into our spirits? Oh, I know…”It was a fun, feel good movie!” I have heard that plenty of times, especially about Tyler Perry’s “fun, family” plays and films – which all glorify sex, drugs, blasphemy and lust. We tack a choir into a film, a strong singer, a lukewarm “gospel” song, or even a church advertisement (see below)….and say it belongs to God!

Why do we do this? What about this one?

(Yes I know, I could not watch this all the way through either!)

Do we REALLY think that this mess will attract the unbeliever when it is blatantly meant to cause the believer to stumble? Then we have shows like Sunday’s Worst…or Best depending on how you view it, that encourages openly gay men and women to “sang” for the Lord. We have a Pastor sitting on the judging panel, yet refuses to righteously judge, why? We have so-called women judges who are mean, arrogant and show very little temperance to those fragile beings who just want to sing to the glory of God. This show is a disgrace. I digress and I do apologize, but that promo for Joyful Noise just brought to mind everything that I detest about the modern christian (emphasis on little ‘c’). Movies and music like this are set out here for a reason, yet we fall for it time and again; oh I know…I really do….I am such a strong woman or man of God that these tricks from the devil won’t affect ME! I remember watching on the G.C. Lewis’ messages where he explained the word, “entertainment”, we have to remember that all of these things enter our spirits, and they may not manifest themselves right away, but lie dormant (detained) waiting until they are called forth.  ENTER + DETAIN = ENTERTAIN! No wonder we can hear the music to a Marvin Gaye song and immediately start swaying and waving our hands, hmmm!

Think about this….2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. Please concentrate on Paul’s usage of the word “from”, its use dictates that there are things that we need to be cleansed from – meaning someone or something else. Additionally, how do we perfect holiness? Be cleansing ourselves and separating ourselves from the profane.

I realize that this blog may be a lot shorter than many of my others (lol), but the promo for this movie just grieved my spirit. My dear brothers and sisters, I pray that you do not support this abomination of a movie or the message that it conveys about Christians. You love Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah and even Courtney B. Vance (the preacher from The Bodyguard), I know, but don’t you love Christ more?  Well, go see a movie that will really hit you where you live, Courageous. Without giving anything away, you will see praying, believing God, faith and even some bibles in this film – yes! Is this my rant for the week? No. I was just laying down for a nap when God jolted me and told me to write this so…may God bless you and your household. Keep the faith and stay strong!

Pastor’s Wife

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

29 responses to “Sacred + Profane = Abomination

1. wellwateredgarden

October 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Are you Jewish … to be concerned with this Ezekiel teaching?

October 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Is it more important what “religion” I am or the message? I follow Christ and His teachings as well as being led by the spirit of God. Therefore I am concerned with the WHOLE of the bible, and how God’s people perish for lack of knowledge of the WHOLE Word. Truly appreciate your question.

APW.

• wisejunction

October 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM

God is the same God. He never changes. What He taught in the Old Testament has just as much value as what He taught in the New Testament. The Old Testament pointed to Christ and Christ was the fulfillment of the law. To understand God, His character and His focus (His Kingdom Work) we need to know all His Word. Not just a section.

• Jerry

October 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM

@wellwateredgarden – What has being jewish have to do with anything? it made no difference to Paul, ‘Luke the beloved physician’ wasn’t jewish (Colossians 4:10-11;14)
      confirms this; God inspired him to write Luke/Acts, Christ said “there were many widows in Israel in Elijahs time but he was sent only to Zarephath in Sidon, and many lepers were in Israel in Elisha’s day, but only Naaman the Syrian was healed..” also recorded by Luke
      people always ‘straining at a gnat and swallowing the camel…!’

2. Pastor DK

October 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Woahhhh!! I dont know where to begin to comment. I guess the choir video really took me to a place I didn’t need to be. We (the church) are always trying to compete with the world. We are trying to fight a battle that is already been won. Why sink to the tactics of the world to draw them in. They already have what we are trying to offer from the world.
    Sis Pastors wife, this was very well spoken or written. I have not watched Sundays worst…LOL but I don’t think I need to. Thanks for the movie recommendation.

October 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Why sink to the tactics of the world to draw them in.

Pastor DK, the simple answer and only my opinion is that the church obviously does not know how to effectively apply God’s Word for the people so they fall back onto the familiar. The Great Apostasy is what we are in, and it has infected the church of Christ. Thank you for the support of this blog and your comment, and I pray that you enjoy the movie!

3. donteattrash

October 2, 2011 at 9:14 AM

im not sure what made you not want to finish the choir video of lose yourself?

and also wondering what you mean by getting a pastor to righteously judge?

im currently thinking through our role on earth, and if we were designed to do a few things and i would love to get your thoughts.
    your awesome.

JBR

October 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Hello Donteattrash (lol, I won’t ask),

I neither wanted nor needed to finish that video because when the church begins to incorporate worldly things as a “draw” it is an offense to God, and what offends God offends me (James 4:4). That is the short answer. Donnie McClurkin is a pastor who, by his own testimony, has been delivered from homosexuality. Instead of sitting up in a singing contest judging people on their vocal talents, he could be telling these young people how to get delivered from their sins (James 5:20, John 7:24, Romans 14:1, and 1 Cor. 6). It is something that Pastor McClurkin has personally been through so he can righteously judge them, does that make sense? I can only say this regarding MY role on Earth, Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. God also instructed me to tell the truth, and that is my goal with these writings. You must pray about God’s mission for your life. Thank you so much for the comments and questions, I am not awesome I am simply a servant of Christ and…

A Pastor’s Wife. God bless you! 🙂

4. wisejunction

October 4, 2011 at 12:29 AM

I am very concerned with how well people will know secular songs and memorize lines of a movie, but they can’t seem to find their way around the Bible. They find it so difficult to learn God’s Word. To memorize something is a struggle, yet to pick up a movie long takes but watching it a couple of times. And yes, the media is constantly tearing our beliefs a part and softening us to accept their belief system and the way they think “church” should be. They continue to ridicule our faith and teach the public to not trust Christians because of the way they portray us in movies. It is so sad.

October 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hello Wisejunction, glad to have you here!

You know, my former pastor had this saying and I believe that it is very relevant. He stated, “The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed”; I used to really get a kick out of that and I get it! Yes, Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of the whole law of the Old Testament, but some people prefer to be held in bondage of the OT law. Jesus tries to help us out in John 8:33-36:

They answered him, We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed”.

Re: Memorization of movies and music, well satan is slick. If you really listen to a lot of music you will notice that a lot of it is rhythmic repetition; take that church choir for instance and the Beyonce song, the “uh uh oh, uh uh oh…” is almost like a chant. A LOT of songs are like that. I saw a YouTube video a few months back where a little sleeping toddler in a car seat heard the Justin Bieber song “Baby” on the radio (in the car) and began to bob his head in his sleep, then he woke a little and started singing it, while his eyes were still closed! See, this is how satan operates, indoctrinate us while we are young. This is a battle that many of us continue to fight: my husband and I teach our children the Word at home, they know scripture and where to find what they need. I like the way you think WJ and hope to have you visit again. God bless!

APW

I pray that my sisters and brothers can get free! Thank you again for your comments.

5. Jerry

October 4, 2011 at 2:28 AM

I remember my father telling me POWs in the Korean war were fed rice that was boiled so long til all the protein was gone, the prisoners ate and were starving with bloated bellies…
    People don’t need to be fed gimmicks, they need to be fed the GOSPEL!

October 4, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Jerry, I totally agree and I love your usage of Luke as an example. Thank you! It is interesting, but most of all indicative of the state of the church today; we will latch onto a man-made doctrine or cling to a certain “belief system” in order to discount the rest of the Word. Sadly, many souls will be lost because of this. Thank you for your comments as usual, the truth will prevail in the end!

6. thankful4grace

October 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

This was a very good post, Sis. Pastor’s wife. I have felt this way about the state of the church for quite some time now. I have not seen the movies you mentioned here, but I felt the same way about TD Jakes’ “Jumping the Broom”. Here was a movie produced by a so-called Christian, marketed to a so-called Christian audience, and yet the movie was actually a mockery of Christian beliefs – and people loved it! It saddens me to see Christians using gimmicks and wordly tactics to “draw” unbelievers, because what we’re saying when we do that is that Christ alone is not enough to draw them. And the most unfortunate thing about this mindset is that the few people who are drawn by these gimmicks are saying “yes” to something that has no power to save them or keep them. This is precisely why we have churches full of false converts that are looking to “christian” movies and “celebrity pastors” as guidance for how to walk with Christ instead of seeking the truth in God’s word, not realizing that the very thing they call “salvation” is actually a form of idolatry. I could go on and on, but instead I will continue to pray that God opens the eyes of his people to His truth. God bless you!

October 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Ohhh Thankful4Grace you took me there, huh? “Jumping the Broom” is a movie that I had NO intention of seeing in theaters, much less paying for, but one weekend my husband and I were bored so we stopped by the Redbox; since we had a coupon for a free rental we chose that movie. TD Jakes (I could write a whole post on him alone, but I leave him to other bloggers) should TRULY be ashamed of himself for this one, yet this movie and his promotion of it is a prime example of what I was pointing out with this blog. Right before the movie’s premier he brought the WHOLE cast into his (not God’s) sanctuary to introduce them to his audience (not congregation) and paid tribute to them (not God) and their contribution to the film! Blasphemy. The movie was embarrassing; the nudity and the carnality alone was enough to make me blush, but where was the glorification of Christ in this film? Non-existent. Apparently we had a bad copy of the movie because it kept skipping and about 3/4 of the way through it, it went out. Thank God. We did call Redbox and got a refund of our FREE movie lol, but it still was not worth it. Think on this, jumping the broom historically means this: “jumping the broom is a symbol of sweeping away the old and welcoming the new, or a symbol of new beginnings”, but my bible says in 2 Cor. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. See how man’s tradition attempt to mock and ridicule God’s? Again, blasphemy.

I totally agree with you about the false convert mindset. These same people have a form of godliness but deny the power of Christ. You tell these people something negative about their “celebrity pastor” and that hol-e-ness will drop off of them so fast and they will cuss you, but will sit through a movie where people are using the G-d curse. Blasphemy. Ok, this was a rant and I apologize but please see Courageous, it will give you hope for the future of TRUE Christ-aligned films. God bless you and thank you for visiting again!

7. licklecee

October 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Hey,

I think this is a very well written and worded post about an issue we (the church) are encountering on so many different levels. We so often talk about outreach and so design all these ways to “reach” into the world yet spend so little time and concern on drawing close to God. So like you said we have this mix of what is sacred and what is profane and expect God to richly bless it. Thank You for this message dear sister, May God continue to Bless and continue Reveal His ways to you.

A verse that has always stuck onto my heart since becoming born again, Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.”, I believe and hold onto the fact we have something truly precious to bring towards people the good news of salvation in Christ so much more precious than that which is in the world. 1 John 2:15 says “Do not love the world or anything in the world, for him who loves the world the Father is not in him”. We have something more precious to love, that is Christ.

Another Thank You Sister, so timely for where i’m at, needed to hear this, Thank God for this post.

October 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM

God bless you Licklecee! If I could marry your post I would, but then I would have to change my blog name to Iamcommentswife lol. 🙂 Romans 1:16 is one of my favorite scriptures because so many people ARE ashamed of the gospel of Christ which is why they use these gimmicks…seriously, Beyonce and Enimen? Just…NO! Jesus Christ told us that if HE was lifted up that he would draw all men unto himself. I sing this praise song all of the time,

Lift Jesus Higher, Lift Jesus higher
      Till He speaks from eternity
      He said if I, if I be lifted up from the Earth
      I will draw all men unto me

If you’re not lifting Him up you are just making noise. Thanks again for your post and please feel free to visit and comment anytime!

APW.

October 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM

You said it all and then some! I’ve been off the grid for a while. Got a lot going on with work. But wanna talk to you soon, whenever, you have the time.

October 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Hey Sis, no problem! My finals are this week so the weekend should be fine. Talk to you soon! Be blessed and thanks for visiting & reading again.

9. pastordk

October 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM

The jumping the broom cast celebration at the church to me was a coming out party. They sat in the house of God and had praises heaped upon them. I had someone tell me if you don’t want to get caught do it openly. The spirirt of Antichrist is moving boldly and the church is just being entertained.

10. Sis Denise

October 7, 2011 at 9:16 AM

You are a true Woman of God and i am so elated to meet someone who believe in a God first lifestyle and who refuse to mix sacret with the profane. Thank you First Lady for being true and standing firm on the Word of God. I will be an avid follower of your blog(s).

Much Love and respect to you
    Your Sis in Christ

October 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Hello Sis Denise!

Thank you so much for your comments; I wholeheartedly believe what the bible says, and I watch, as Jesus instructed us, the sign of the times. I know that time is running short, and people are seeking for truth and finding error. We are to be that remnant who will not compromise the Word of God for profit (filthy lucre) or status. I would love it if you would do me one favor though Sis, please don’t refer to me as “First Lady”. I am not offended by the term, and I have friends who do demand the title, but for me it is just a little much. I am simply a servant of Jesus Christ and hopefully a good wife to my husband. My joy is in being both. So, if possible, can you and I just be “Sisters”? 😉 No offense, and I appreciate the honor and respect in your words. Welcome to the blog and please contribute where you’d like. Love and Respect to you as well!

APW

11. licklecee

October 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Haha lol, which might be a little confusing haha, but Amen to your comment! I look forward to your future posts! 🙂

12. BornAgainJerry

March 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Hello IPW!
    Its been a while, I agree with your assessement of this “gospel” movie (yeah, right) thats why I refused to suppport it with my $$$$$…today anything tagged gospel no matter how worldly or shallow is “anointed” if you’re a gospel singer and your music doesn’t glorify God its anointed, or continue having childern out of wed lock or live a lifestyle that God calls an abomination, preach false doctrine, con & cheat people out of their money and property “God is still using them ’cause they’re anointed..”
    If everybodys so anointed, why is there so much confusion and scandal in todays churches?!

People use the word ‘Anointing” all wily-nily because they have no ideal what the word means.
    Sis, have you heard the latest “ministry” in circulation, “the stripper-pole gospel?”
    UN-BE-LIEVE-ABLE!

March 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Hi Brother Jerry, I have really missed your postings and had mentioned it recently to my husband, so it’s a pleasure to see you around again. I cannot be a hypocrite either because my schedule has been so busy that I’ve rarely had time to finish a thought much less a blog. I am praying that God will allow me the time once again, to finish some of the drafts that I have started.

In regard to the “new” ministries they are all abominations from the stripper pole to the youth and their “Harlem Shake” in the church, God is NOT pleased. However, rest assured that all these things must come to pass before Jesus returns. I console myself with those thoughts and continue praying for the state of the apostate church. Hang in there Jerry and I hope to hear from you soon!

• BornAgainJerry

April 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM

You are so right Sis…as we witness the doctrinal decline and the shallow standards in many churches today it puts you between a rock and a hard place, the desire to pray, but also with the understanding that church members “Gather to themselves teachers that will tell them what they want to hear” 2 Tim 4:3-4 (and not what they need to hear)
        It still trips me out that no matter what these ‘pimp preachers’ do their supporters will defend them to the death..! And will cuss you out, up, down & sideways and in the same breath say “I’ll pray for you”
        Forgetting, “Out of the same mouth proceed blessing & cursing. My bretheren these things should not be” – James 3:10
        I know its not just me, but sometimes (humanly speaking) I feel like a “Lone Ranger Christian” without Tonto –
        to You, your Husband & family
        Be blessed, Stay Blessed!

• BornAgainJerry

May 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Looking forward to reading your next post, hope hear from you soon…..

May 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Hello Bro. Jerry! Hang in there with me for a few more days. I have a little something that I will be posting when God gives me the green light. Thank you so much for being a continual source of encouragement. God bless you!

• BornAgainJerry

May 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM

IAPW: Hello again, have you been noticing a trend within Christian circles that numerous people are posting and doing vids of being given “guided tours” to HELL by Jesus no less..?

P.S. waiting for that green light to come on…Blessings to you & yours Sis.

June 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Guided tours to hell Jerry? No sir, that’s a new one on me, but I have really been buried in work these past 7 months so I have missed a lot. I will have to do a little digging to see what that’s about unless you have a resource! I have something that I have been trying to get posted, but of course our enemy is fighting me tooth and nail with it. Hoping to have it posted by this evening with the Lord’s help. Praying God’s blessings for you and your family, stay strong!