Tithe or Be Ye Cursed!

03 Aug

Without opening up my bible and without Googling the passage, allow me to quote it the way that my former pastor quoted it, and probably the same way that yours did as well:

Brang ye all the tithes….uhhh….to the storehouse…uhhh….that there might be meat in MY house! And provvvvve me now, saith the Lord of Hosts, that I will not ooopen up a window in Heaven and pour you out a blessing…that there won’t be room enough to receive it! Can I get an AYEMEN? Congregation: ‘Amen’!

I already understand this is a hotbed debate, and I also understand that many people will disagree with me on this issue; however, countless numbers of men and women of God are being manipulated by those who call themselves sent by God. They believe that if Malachi said it, they believe it ends there and that settles it. While standing high and grand in the pulpit these preachers will spout some version of what I stated above, using the word “CURSE” to strike fear in the hearts of the people in order for them to release their purses and wallets. After placing the fear they announce…BUT if you give, He (God) will give it back to you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over. Are you afraid of the curse? Well 2 Timothy 1:7 says, For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

But wait. You might be saying to yourself, “Well hey, sister Iampastorswife, you ARE a pastor’s wife so y’all obviously have a church. You cannot tell me that you do not believe in collecting tithes!” My response to that is that we believe that each individual can give of their own volition, but it is nether asked for nor required. My personal belief is in free will giving, and giving as the Lord lays on your heart. I believe that I can pay my tithe to the church, to an individual who needs it, I can give of my time while serving others. Ultimately I believe that anything that you give from your heart and as unto the Lord is your tithe, not just money.

I would like to look a bit deeper into this tithing/prosperity phenomenon! Just recently a subscriber to this blog sent a two-page tithing document to me which is distributed to new members in their ministry, and they wanted to know what I think about it. I will post it for the blog readers here:

(Disclaimer: The ministry mentioned in this document is not affiliated in any way with the Atlanta mega-ministry of the same name.)

I will be honest here, as always. If I had joined a ministry and those documents were in my new members’ packet, I would have turned and run for the door. A lot of ministries are not that blatant, but apparently some are. I am of the belief that if someone wants to tithe of their free will, and because of the grace that God has given to them, then go for it. However, if you are tithing because some preacher/pastor/teacher instilled into you the fear of “a curse” then you are on the wrong path. I will explain, stick with me. From the days of Moses the Israelites were to pay the tithe to the Levite priests who ministered in the temple. Numbers 18:21 states,

To the Levites I have given every tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service that they do, their service in the tent of meeting.

The Levites were the only tribe who were forbidden from having an inheritance in the land; their provisions were through the tithes of the people. The oft misused quote in Malachi 3:6 about the storehouse was an actual storehouse where their firstfruits could be stored for sacrifice to God or sustenance for the priests. This is all under Levitical law.There will be some who will reference Abraham’s tithing to Melchizedek in Genesis 14, but you must understand that at that time Abraham was not required to pay the tithe, he decided to do it in honor of the Lord God; additionally, Abraham was not under the new covenant provided by the blood of Jesus. So what about Jesus? Jesus became the law, our New Testament covenant so that man no longer had to perform ceremonial law, which included the tithe. Jesus became the high priest, so that we no longer need to support a Levitical priesthood.

The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind, You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek (Psalms 110:4).

Jesus was the perfect sacrifice being God in the flesh. He both became and transcended the law, so why would we then willingly place ourselves back under the law from which he freed us? Dare we nullify the sacrifice that Christ paid for us? Understanding that in the Old Testament God created laws to help man restrain his sinful nature inherited from Adam, it may help us to understand that in 1 John 2:1 it states,

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

You can absolutely pay a tithe if it is in your heart to do so, according to the faith and grace given to you by the Lord, but my dear brothers and sisters you are under no lawful requirement to do so. You have an advocate, which is usually a lawyer, with God, who is Jesus Christ which frees you from Old Testament law! Do not allow the charlatans in the pulpit to frighten, cajole or manipulate you into giving. 2 Peter warns us of them, And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not (2 Pet. 2:3). At my old ministry we were required to pay 10% tithes and our offering was supposed to be more than the tithes, and sacrificial offerings were required often. Is that of God? No. Does God need your “sacrificial money”? Why would he? The Earth is the Lord’s and the fulness thereof and they which dwell within (Psalms 24:1). Does God want a sacrifice from you? Sure he does:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Romans 12:1-2).

Please examine the tithing documents presented above one more time. Do they really represent the kingdom of God? They are threatening, demeaning and insulting! They say that if you don’t tithe and you get in trouble “Don’t call on God…call your lawyer, doctor, banker or friends…”, I don’t know, I thought that scripture stated that “whosoever called upon the name of the Lord…” not just the tithers. Whether you agree with me or not, please understand that the truth shall make you free. Don’t believe me, study the Word for yourself and learn about the tremendous sacrifice that Jesus paid for us to be free from the law of sin and death and finally, Galatians 5:1. Have a blessed week!

A Pastor’s Wife

Posted by on August 3, 2011 in Spiritual Abuse, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Tithe or Be Ye Cursed!

August 3, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Oh, where to begin. LOL. If I were this person, I’d run so far from that church they’d see dust. The tithing documents are so far from being doctrinally sound. This “church” is weighing these people down with a bunch of junk. I recommend that everyone read the book Pagan Christianity written by Frank Viola. It puts all these things that the institutional churches practices in in a whole new light. SMH at this mess.

August 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM

My Sister, excellent reading suggestion, I agree! I really have been stressing to people that they study the word for themselves too. It’s important that we come to an understanding of God’s Word for ourselves instead of relying on these “preachers” and their warped doctrines and beliefs. I was incredulous when the subscriber sent this to me last month. I truly had to lay it before the Lord for a while, I was that incensed. Thanks for posting!

August 4, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I bet you were incensed, I know I was. It really just grieves me so much the extent so called preachers go through to fleece the people. That’s why it’s so important to study the word for yourself! I tell people this all the time. I tell my mother and others–stop and compare what the minister is saying with the word of God. At my mother’s church they had a major split almost 2 years ago. The preacher took it upon himself to sit down a few serving members because they were not tithing! I tried to talk to my mother–but she is a faithful follower. I tell her all the time–STOP DRINKING THE RED KOOL-AID.

August 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Ohhh don’t get me started on preachers “sitting down members”. That is a whole ‘nother blog post lol. I am sure that satan is enjoying the collapse of the traditional church system, but it is just for a season because God is rebuilding the body of Christ with people who will stand flat-footed and tell the whole truth of the Word. People like yourself and Pastor Davision and Pastor Foster, etc., even though it may seem like people are not seeing/hearing, they do. If we live our lives as we blog then we are the witnesses who God is calling out and using for this present time. Keep on in the faith and speaking the truth in love – even to your mother. We prayed for my parents for a full year before they were delivered from that ministry!

3. truthiseternal

August 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Dear Sister in Christ,
    Thank you for speaking the truth in Love. Everything you said is absolutely true. In the church i previously attended I struggled with the tithing issue because i observed the yoke of bondgage that was being placed on the necks of the members. The tithers stood while everyone else was seated. This made people feel superior or special while the rest felt less. I did a word study on every single mention of tithing in the bible, read it the context that it was intended and prayed that the Holy Spirit would lead me into all truth. God was gracious and allowed me to know without a shadow of doubt that it is not a requirement for the new testment church. Christ fulfilled the law and we are under grace and no matter how much the preacher would try to guilt me into tithing or make me fearful of a curse for not tithing, it didn’t work. I now attend a wonderful, bible teaching church where we are not pressured to tithe only give cheerfully what God has laid on our hearts. He who the Son makes free, is free in deed.
    By the way, i love the hat :).

August 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM

My Dear Truthiseternal,

Thank you so much for blessing me with your testimony – I truly needed that today. The enemy has been beating on me this week, and I know that it is response to what I have written in these virtual pages. So reading your response just gives him a black eye and God gets even more glory! It is such a shame that there are shepherds who are supposed to watch over the flock, and they end up being ravening wolves; it is also abominable that this man of God would have people stand to shame the ones who were still sitting. My ex-pastor used a similar tactic. God got the victory for you in that one through 2 Timothy 2:15. You studied to show yourself approved unto God…and even though that pastor tried to shame you, that passage of scripture continues…”a workman that needeth not be ASHAMED, rightly dividing the Word of Truth”! I praise Him for that alone, and also that you have found an upright congregation that is building up and not tearing down. Thank God for freedom, and thank God again for you visiting this page and responding! God bless you in all that you do!

A Pastor’s Wife…that you will NEVER see wearing a hat like that! LOL

4. Jerry

August 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Its not just manipulation but MONEYnipulation

Remember the scriptures:
    Do not make My fathers house a house of merchandise..!
    Jesus John 2:14-16
    We are not as so many peddling the word God..
    Paul 2 Cor 2:17a
    By covetousness (greed) they will make merchadise of you with deceptive words…
    ..enticing unstable souls, they have a heart trained in covetous pratices..
    Peter 2 Pet 2:3;14
    The Roman church has become a Billion $$$$$$ monolith over the centuries practicing
    the same things, do not make these ‘Protestant Popes’ rich or finance their “Vaticans”

5. iampastorswife

August 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Jerry, you’ve got it and there are dens of thieves manipulating, deceiving and fleecing the flocks everywhere. The tithing doctrine is so skewered that people will argue it until Jesus comes back. I believe that it is of utmost importance that people note that it is FINE to tithe, but it is not required under the new covenant of Jesus Christ. I believe that’s where we lose people; tradition is what it is. Some people have a tradition of having family reunions every 2 years; let someone tell that family that this year they have decided that the reunions are no longer necessary – the whole family may revolt. Some congregations are so used to the tithe teaching that it has become tradition, and as long as they cleave to it they can never be free of it for fear of the “curse”. Thanks for posting.

6. Jerry

August 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I just decided to re-read the ‘tithe form’ it is very upsetting, it is insulting and designed to
    intimidate to make one feel guilty; insinuating you’re a 2nd class christian –
    It reminds me of when Jesus rebuked the Pharisees “You lay heavy burdens on people,
    but won’t so much as lift a finger to help” this is a yoke of legalism around someones neck
    its another form of greed that screams “SEND ME YOUR MONEY!”
    Dangling the 30, 60, 100 fold carrot in your face –
    They want the gross, not net income! Bottom line, its another (illegal) tax- to them!
    And they have the gall to say your relationship with God is based on giving, in my neighborhood they it Pimpin’! You made an excellent point about the Levitical system
    being abolished, that means all of it! If they want to keep that part active, then revive the
    animal sacrifices, the garments, etc. as well. Let me really be a thorn in the side about it –
    They couldn’t and shouldn’t receive tithes because, THEY AREN’T LEVITES TO BEGIN WITH!
    I’ll just finish by saying, if I ever run out of toilet paper and had one of these forms………..

7. Marcia

August 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

The scary thing about that document is that it TOTALLY subverts the finished work of Jesus Christ on the Cross. I mean if my joy, provision, peace etc. comes from something I do, then Why do I need Jesus Christ?

Oh my, I give because I love Him! I give because I can’t help it not because of some Law. Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law, and because of that I can now be led by the Holy Spirit to give as the Lord directs and He has given me a heart of flesh that longs to support the true work of God.

I went to a church that required you to write down your tithes and then the offerings separate, then hold them up to God and basically say: God you have to do “this:” because I gave this much money!!! After hearing the truth one day, we ran for the hills!

Now we are outreach ministers at a local church, and we concentrate on being His child! He takes care of everything else!

August 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Sister Marcia, I am thankful that your family is ministering the truth to others, that is what the Kingdom needs. I understand about holding up the offering and repeating some man-made mantra smh, been through that one too! I thank God for freedom from all of these doctrines of devils that are meant to divert the Word and the truth of God. Thank you so much for your post!

8. john clayton

January 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

No preacher in his right mind wants you to tithe like the bible says tithe. He wants you to tithe like he says to tithe. No preacher wants an animal, grain, or grapes. Only the Levites were given a command to take tithes. Nobody else was.

January 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Bro. Clayton,

Take a prosperity preacher some grapes, grain or a sheep and see how he looks at your – or maybe what he does to you. You can bring your food “offering” when you prepare his anniversary banquet, otherwise the only thing coming into the offering plate better have some president’s face on it LOL. When it comes to tithing, many pastors/preachers/teachers totally overlook the grace the Jesus covered, but they want that same grace to cover their secret sins. Be not deceived, God is not mocked…

Thank you for your comment my Brother!

9. Jeremy Scott Livingston

January 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Deuteronomy 26:12
    New International Version (NIV)
    12 When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

If I am reading this correctly (correct me if I am wrong) the tithe should be once every three years, and should be 10% of first fruits divided 3 ways… 1 to the Levite, 2 people you don’t know 3 widows and orphans…..

So if they really want to get picky then that’s the way I will do it